July 4 (Sixth after Pentecost) - Psalm 30
There you are, in the welcome reminder that your anger is but for a moment, your favor for a lifetime. With the hymnwriter, "I hate the sins that made you mourn and drove you from my breast." Yet, given your faithfulness, while my weeping may linger for a night, joy comes with the morning.
Time and again, Lord, you have turned my mourning into dancing; you have taken off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, so that my soul may praise you and not be silent.
Deliver me now, Lord, once again. Blot out my transgressions, which are ever before me, and make me pure within, Amen.
Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner. I thank you that in the spirit of the psalmist I can pray that prayer. I thank you too that, knowing myself as I do, and familiar with the darker places in my being, I can cry out for mercy and deliverance, confident that you will hear my cry and respond.
There you are, in the welcome reminder that your anger is but for a moment, your favor for a lifetime. With the hymnwriter, "I hate the sins that made you mourn and drove you from my breast." Yet, given your faithfulness, while my weeping may linger for a night, joy comes with the morning.
Time and again, Lord, you have turned my mourning into dancing; you have taken off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, so that my soul may praise you and not be silent.
Deliver me now, Lord, once again. Blot out my transgressions, which are ever before me, and make me pure within, Amen.
July 11 (Seventh after Pentecost) - Psalm 25:1-10
Make we to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Be mindful of your mercy and tend this wandering sheep in your fold. According to your steadfast love, remember me, and guide me in the way everlasting.
Instruct and humble and teach and keep me in your way. Who have I in heaven but you, and to whom else shall I go for the words of eternal life? All your paths are steadfast love and faithfulness. Hold me close to you and keep my will in covenant with yours. Amen.
As the psalmist's plea for forgiveness is also here a prayer for guidance, so is mine, O Lord. Lest you build the house, we labor in vain who build it. How many times have I sought to conquer sin in my own strength, even with good intentions, only to see my efforts fail?
Make we to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Be mindful of your mercy and tend this wandering sheep in your fold. According to your steadfast love, remember me, and guide me in the way everlasting.
Instruct and humble and teach and keep me in your way. Who have I in heaven but you, and to whom else shall I go for the words of eternal life? All your paths are steadfast love and faithfulness. Hold me close to you and keep my will in covenant with yours. Amen.
July 18 (8th in Pentecost) - Psalm 62
How is it, Lord, that even as I plea for forgiveness and guidance you deign to call me to proclaim who you are and will ever be? "Trust in him at all times, O people," you make me say. "Pour out your heart before him, God is a refuge for us."
You fill me with solemn warnings for others: "Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion," you make me proclaim. "In the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath. Put no confidence in extortion, and set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, do not set your heart on them."
Do you make me speak at one and the same time as you make me listen? Evidently so. "Once God has spoken, twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, that steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord. For you repay all according to their work."
How is it, Lord, that even as I plea for forgiveness and guidance you deign to call me to proclaim who you are and will ever be? "Trust in him at all times, O people," you make me say. "Pour out your heart before him, God is a refuge for us."
You fill me with solemn warnings for others: "Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion," you make me proclaim. "In the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath. Put no confidence in extortion, and set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, do not set your heart on them."
Do you make me speak at one and the same time as you make me listen? Evidently so. "Once God has spoken, twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, that steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord. For you repay all according to their work."
Keep me at work for you, Lord, that I do not work in vain. Amen.
July 25 (Ninth after Pentecost) - Psalm 85
Praying as I have this month, Lord--for forgiveness, guidance, and confidence to proclaim your power and glory--now turns to pleading with you on behalf of your people.
"Restore us again, O God of our salvation.... Will you not revive us again, so that your people may rejoice in you. Show us your steadfsat love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation.... Let us hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts."
You have both promised, O Lord, and taught me to proclaim, that you will give what is good, and that righteousness will go before you and make a path for your steps.
O Lord, come and make it happen in our common life as human beings, until steadfast love and faithfulness meet, righteousness and peace kiss each other, and earth is drawn back to you. Amen.
Praying as I have this month, Lord--for forgiveness, guidance, and confidence to proclaim your power and glory--now turns to pleading with you on behalf of your people.
"Restore us again, O God of our salvation.... Will you not revive us again, so that your people may rejoice in you. Show us your steadfsat love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation.... Let us hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts."
You have both promised, O Lord, and taught me to proclaim, that you will give what is good, and that righteousness will go before you and make a path for your steps.
O Lord, come and make it happen in our common life as human beings, until steadfast love and faithfulness meet, righteousness and peace kiss each other, and earth is drawn back to you. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment